View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I suppose that the Nook could do all of this. However, somehow I don't think that Barnes and Noble wants to encourage people to get free books from the library.
It could all be done on the Nook, but B&N would need to add:
- official support for the web browser, and ability to browse a library's Overdrive portal to download .acsm files from there (& ideally, allow download of any natively-supported format such as .epub or .pdf)
- adding email client or Kindle-like delivery-by-email would be helpful too, in terms of offering an alternative delivery mechanism for .acsm files
- call Adobe RMSDK apis to 'fulfill' an .acsm file that's been downloaded.

Of course the above would also allow you to get books from other storefronts, such as Kobo or Google Books, without sideloading over USB.

For example, on iOS I can download .acsm file directly from the library portal, and select an app to fulfill it (either Bluefire or Overdrive Media Console). Or I can download the .acsm file on a computer and email it as a file attachment, and then open it with any app that registers for that file type (again Bluefire or OMC). Or I can use Dropbox etc.

Perhaps B&N will consider adding this functionality when Kindle's library borrowing feature rolls out. That seems to be how it works with a little friendly competition.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-10-2011 at 08:09 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote