View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #8
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Just wanted to revive this thread to point out that the PRS-650 already has magnets built into the reader itself right out of the factory.

The reason I figured this out is that the reader seems to be made of aluminum, and I couldn't figure out what the cover magnets in the Sony covers were sticking to. Faced with a similar problem, if I had to engineer a solution for this, then I would simply place some small magnets inside the reader at the corners, and when I checked, that seems to be exactly what Sony has done.

Anyone with a 650 - If you want to check this for yourself, get a small thin piece of steel or iron and tap it lighly against the lower right corner and upper right corner of the 650 and you will feel the attraction of the magnets built into the reader.

So in theory, you wouldn't need magnets to hold the cover closed, you would only need a thin sheet of material cut from a steel can or some such.

The attractive force from these magnets is a little weak though, so you would do better with small dime sized rare earth magnets BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT THEY LINE UP PROPERLY AND ARE GLUED INTO THE COVER FACING THE RIGHT WAY OR THEY WILL REPEL INSTEAD OF ATTRACT.

With everything lined up the right way, with magnets facing magnets on the top-cover, reader itself, and bottom cover, at both the upper right and lower right corners of the reader, the force holding the cover closed will be much stronger, and should hold it closed quite nicely when the reader is not in use.

Last edited by delphin; 02-23-2011 at 02:54 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote