View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
As I pointed out in this post, the ePUB spec allows including PDF documents as alternative renderings for chapters.

This is a test for this feature. It is my version of "Gulliver's Travels", with a PDF version of each chapter (at 9×12cm), and the standard XHTML as a "fallback". According to the spec, a reading system that supports PDF could show the PDF version, while those that don't will display the normal (XHTML) text. I don't know, however, if there is any system that supports this, but it may be worth testing.
Does it work for you, Jellby? I won't be able to check until later today.

And yeah... the splitting of PDF files is unfortunate. Though presumably the necessity to "physically" break up ePub's HTML components will decrease as processing power and memory in eBook reading devices increases.

Edit: Is there a way to give PDF primacy over the XHTML? i.e.: Try to suggest to the viewer to display PDF, and consider the XHTML as the alternate? If so, these sort of multi-layout editions could be manually tweaked by those wishing to view in the alternate format. Not terribly elegant--but a start.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote