View Single Post
Old 12-30-2006, 08:02 AM   #8
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by markiehill
The adoption of an open DRM format that is supported and works across many devices has to be the way forward.
I've already proven that this cannot exist.

For DRM to accomplish its goal of "protecting" content, it must be closed and proprietary. Therefore it will never work across all devices and all new devices will be hobbled by restrictions placed on it by the DRM owner (case in point: Windows Vista).

Quote:
If it is an open free for all with no DRM, then publishers will never support these devices in the way we need.
Current pBooks have no DRM - yet publishers still publish.
Current CDs have no DRM - yet the RIAA still makes lots of money off them.
Current DVDs have broken DRM on them - yet they still sell just fine.

The idea that without DRM the content industry will withhold content was proven false when they tried to shove the Digital Broadcast Flags down our throats.

Content that sits in a vault has no value. The only way that content has value is to sell copies to people who want it.

The problem with the content cartel today is that they want to move to a pay-per-view business method. So you don't buy an eBook. Instead you pay every time you want to read it. You don't buy a movie. You pay each time you want to view it.

The problem with that business model is that the public doesn't want it.

Quote:
In my view Mobipocket have come closest to this across multiple devices and made it a commercial success, i am not saying its ideal, but supporting a major DRM format like mobipocket would make the Illiad a much more desirable device !!!
Since I won't pay money to lease content (why should I pay when the library will lease it to me for free?), all DRMed content is worth $0. Therefore, there is no value in porting Mobipocket to another device.

Remember, that while a format is well supported today doesn't mean that it will be supported tomorrow. When content is in a closed, proprietary format, it basically has an expiration date on it. How many pBooks do you have that will fail to open in 10 years?
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote