Thread: Silliness Quiz
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #10029
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Thanks for the maple syrup making lesson, Stitchawl. That's part of the fun of this Quiz thread, learning new stuff as we go.

PS - Do I get the prize for being the closest at 30 gallons? I'm hoping it's a gallon of "B Grade" .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Yes, you do! But I think you might find the B grade a bit too strong. Have you ever eaten Maple Sugar candy? It's just pressed maple sugar. THAT is the taste of B grade. 'A' grade is what you'd normally find to put on pancakes, waffles, ice cream, etc.

Stitchawl

Maple syrup production is an annual activity here in Northern Wisconsin as well, though it is not famous for it like Vermont. I love maple sugar candy. Maybe because of a odd story from my childhood. At one point my mother decided that the family should go on a diet that limited bread products to those made from soy, substitution of carob for chocolate, and maple sugar as the only sweetener/candy. The first two are unappetizing but I still recall the delicious taste of little maple sugar candies just melting in my mouth. Maple sugar candy is hard to find now and damn expensive when it can be found.

Oh, there is even a Pete Seeger song about maple syrup season, but I bet Stitchawl already knew that.