View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 04:44 AM   #11
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Buying 45's! We must be about the same age then. What I mean by angering existing clients is a reference to people that would not pirate software, music etc but are still then subjected to onerous procedures to be able to enjoy their purchases. I will give an example of software. We run 5 copies of Adobe Photoshop at my studio. Installing upgrades is made complicated by having to prove we have the previous copy we are updating from and being online in order to activate the product. You may transfer the software from one machine to another but need to do the transfer from the machine currently activated. Should that machine die unexpectedly you then have to get on the phone and answer a bunch of questions. People cracking the software are subjected to none of this. In Adobes defense I would also be fed up with the piracy and their system does work pretty well.

I have a 4X4 vehicle with an mp3 enabled cd player and stick 6 or 7 discs on one cd. This protects my original discs and cuts down on what I carry about when heading off to the wilds of Lesotho or Namibia. My music is almost as important to me as my books. I would never pirate either but now it seems that I am breaking the law by ripping my own discs to use on a holiday where a lot of CD's are awkward to manage. This does irritate me as I do my best not to break the law. It does cut down on my enthusiasm. I am sure that my practise of copying my CD's to use while on holiday or on a photo shoot was not the primary target of Sony's copyright position. I see this as me being collateral damage.

Now I will really show my age. I think the problem is a fundamental lack of a basis for morality other than being caught and punished. This applies equally to corporates and individuals.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote