Thread: JBPatch
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #985
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
So, this is really just a minor question concerning the default settings of the hyphenation patch.

Should the default (minimal) "first syllable length" and "last syllable length" settings be left at 3 characters, or reduced to 2 characters? For most of the languages that I know, allowing two-character first syllables seems to make sense ("un-", "in-", "im-" prefixes), not sure about suffixes though (I tend to think that allowing for 2 characters also makes more sense for suffixes in most languages, but as said I'm not sure).

Keep in mind that these default settings are language-agnostic - so, what works in most (but possibly not all) languages should be the default. And of course, the setting can be changed according to individual preference anytime - I'm just asking what would be sensible defaults.

Thanks for your input!
Since it is based on rules and not on a dictionary it should be fine either way. The worst that can happen if leaving it at 3 is that it hyphenate less than it could. That, I think, would happen if the word is too long, and it might find a spot to cut it later. JBPatch is a tool to customize - and it should be up to each individual which setting is the right one. So I vote for leave it at 3.

Question about the inside of the hyphenation: does it simply cut the word and add a "-" or does it change the word when needed? Can't think of an example right now, but in German sometimes "...CK..." changes into "...K - K ..." if you hyphenate (unless the changed the grammar in the last decade).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote