View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 12:22 AM   #8
crazyTash
Enthusiast
crazyTash began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcalder View Post
Do you have a friend or relative who lives in the US and wouldn't mind doing you a favour? If so, use them as a mail-forwarding depot if you ever need to use the Sony warranty. Just don't use your Canadian address to register the Reader.

It's worth noting, however, that the Sony 505 I just bought on eBay (new in box but from a private individual) has a Canada-compliant bilingual (English-French) box and (bilingual) Canadian standards info on the back of the Reader itself. So, easy Canadian access to the Sony Reader (with full warranty) may not be as far off as it originally seemed...

I have both the Cybook and the Sony 505. Features-wise, I'm not entirely convinced that the font choices and secure Mobipocket compatibility justify the added cost for the Cybook, so I'm not about to argue that you need to take those into consideration as well as the warranty. If the warranty is your main concern, I'd probably say, go with the Sony - with the caveat that you should probably have someone who does have a U.S. address who would be willing to act as a mail forwarder in case of warranty claims.
Thanks! That is very useful advice. I do have friends in the U.S. who wouldn't mind being my go-between!

Also, thanks for your comparison on the Cybook and Reader features. It helps when people who have used both devices give their opinion. I have noticed that if people just use one device, they are very loyal to that device and cannot see beyond it. Not always...but most of the time

btw a general question...can the registration be changed at a later stage? Say after the 1 year warranty period expires?
crazyTash is offline   Reply With Quote