View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
HubbaDubbaDubba
HubbaDubbaDubba began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
I'm still running 1.9.17, and can tell you that's incorrect because I have zero shop related stuff on my home screen. What I see is the covers of my four most recently read titles in the upper 2/3 of the screen and the first four items in my short list across the bottom.

When I first got my touch, I immediately upgraded when I saw that new versions were out up to and including 1.9.17, but from that point forward, I didn't like what I was hearing and decided to wait. Now I've reached the point where I have no expectations of ever upgrading.

The marketing B.S. on the front page would really irritate me. One of the major reasons I bought my touch in the first place was that Kindle was selling a "with advertising" version for $20 less than the same version without, and it really irritated me to think that they put extra software development time into a feature that was designed to either force feed me advertising or make me pay them to stop. Kobo hadn't yet started selling that way, and as I said it was a major factor in my decision to purchase.

I was really disappointed when Kobo started doing the same, and that disappointment didn't lessen when they stopped with the two-tiered price point and decided that everybody would have to get their marketing suggestions, period. Not an issue for me currently, because as I say I'm happy with my current situation.

They've actually done themselves a disservice in my case, because I used to visit the Kobo store, but haven't done so for quite some time because I don't want to risk an automatic upgrade. I read free epubs and check out DRM'd current releases from my library, but I don't go near the Kobo store. When the day comes when I'll have to buy a new reader, I'll be looking for one that doesn't force feed advertising.
Still sporting 1.9.14 here. Best homescreen ever on the Kobo Touch. No stupid recommended lists.
HubbaDubbaDubba is offline   Reply With Quote