View Single Post
Old 09-26-2004, 06:03 PM   #4
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
Um, aren't there even some dictionaries that now use "google" as a synonym for an internet search (I think I read something about that a while back - can't remember where, unfortunately...)?

So how can something that's turning into a true word be anyone's intellectual property?
Was the word "google" associated with a search engine before google.com? No.

While I think intellectual property and trademark infringement are claimed too often, I have to side with google on this one. Just take a look at fagoogle's website, then google. They are clearly copying google's logo and web page. Just because google is now a well known word that is finding it's way into our vocabulary does not mean that the people behind fagoogle have the right to copy google's trademark. What would your opinion be if someone made a web page called fagyahoo!? Yahoo is a word in the dictionary, and as others have stated, that argument is not a valid defense in this case even though it may be used.

What if Alexander received a trademark on Mobileread, then someone else came along and created a web page for mobile content that used Mobileread's layout, style and logo, and named it Mobilereader? No infringement there? I don't think so.

Don't be surprised when that page is completely taken down soon. It is a great way to get some free publicity and cry foul, but IMO Google is clearly within their rights to protect their IP in this case.

Nice of them to copy MSN's butterfly (ok, so they made it a mirror image and changed the colors slightly) while they were at it, 2 for 2.

Last edited by ballistic; 09-26-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote