View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #126
drachasor
Connoisseur
drachasor began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Netbook processor's suck. Most I've tried choke on streaming video, and I've not found one that could come close to doing HD. Though apparently some newer models are starting to improve on that front--though reviews still put HD play back at so-so and varying greatly by site. From the demo it looks like the iPad handles HD video with no issues power wise.
No issues power-wise? There's no way HD doesn't cut into its 10 hour battery life disproportionately. Anyhow, I guess the Ipad might do HD better, but that's only going to be when you have it on the device or perhaps on a wifi connection (3G can't transfer data fast enough). When you go beyond that, a Netbook is going to have a lot more options available in what it can run overall

Quote:
So I've had no need for a Netbook and outside of work, friends/family, my free time revolves around movies, tv shows and sports so any internet device I have has to be able to handle HD video flawlessly.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Netbooks and laptops are TERRIBLE to read on IMO due to the form factor. A tablet I can hold just like a hardcover book and pretty much just like my kindle. Curl up in the recliner and read, lay on the couch or bed and read just like I do with a real book or my Kindle.
I've read on my laptop a lot. A netbook would just be easier. You can sit on a recliner, recline, and read easily enough on a netbook. I don't see what's so hard about it.

Quote:
Similarly, I've had no use for a smart phone--especially with data plans being $30 a month. Just no use for browsing the web on such a tiny screen, getting annoyed by e-mails from my students and colleagues everywhere I go etc. If I need directions I've got my Garmin in the car. If I need an address I call a friend or two to find one who's at a computer. And I wouldn't want to read on such a small screen (have tried on a friends iPhone).
As I've already said, a Smart Phone with a data plan costs about as much per month as a Cell Phone + Ipad with a data plan. So the Ipad isn't saving you money if you get the 3G. Anyhow, you don't have to read your email on a smart phone if you don't want to.

Now, yes, I see how the Ipad is better for reading. But if you want to mark up documents and such, you're going to at least want a Stylus interface, which the Ipad doesn't come with. So I don't see how it even does what you'd want it to. If you are just using it for reading, then there are plenty of devices that do as good a job but cheaper. Heck, plenty of devices where reading device + smart phone is cheaper than an Ipad.

Quote:
I mean I get it. Tablets aren't for you. And that's fine. Netbooks and smart phones aren't for me, but I'd get a lot of use out of the right kind of tablet. And I don't care if that tablet is some huge mass market success, or some niche item that sells 100,000 or less. As long as it does all I need, that's all that matters.
I'm not really saying tablets aren't for me. A good tablet that could replace paper for reading AND writing purposes would be great if it also had a 12+ hour battery life (preferably more). Naturally it would be much better if it could also do other things too. The Ipad can kinda replace paper for output, but certainly not for input. I find the battery life on it too short for the battery to not be an issue. Current tablets are no different from this, of course. I think a tablet that did all this would do quite well for itself too.

Quote:
I really don't see why you're here and posting so much if you have ZERO interest in the iPad or Tablets period and think theyll bomb. To be blunt, no one here gives a crap about hearing such opinions. We all want to discuss the iPad/tablets with people who at least are interested in them and want to discuss the pros and cons of the iPad as it fits or doesn't fit their needs.
I'm here because I'm rather shocked that the Ipad can do so little. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Apparently I am not.

Anyhow, if you don't care for my opinions or talking about what I am saying, then that's fine. You can just ignore my posts. It's not hard.

Quote:
Not just hear someone basically say "Tablets suck and are useless" repeatedly. I mean I'm not going in to forums for devices like the iRex or PDAs etc. that I find useless and saying that the devices suck etc. I spend my time discussing devices I own or have some interest in.
Yeah, well, I'm not going to apologize or anything for my posts. If you can't handle someone posting over a period of a day or two about a device that has peaked their negative interest, then that's not my fault.

I don't think this is worth getting riled up over. I was just interested in having an honest discussion about the purpose and usefulness of the device. If I frequented the Iliad forums, I'd understand someone wanting the same. The Iliad (and I have one) does have some stark limitations and it is only proper to own up to that. Getting angry at someone because you don't like what they say when what is said is also true is rather ridiculous, imho. The purpose of a forum is to discuss, is it not? I don't think our culture has descended so far that we can't handle people with differing opinions talking to each other yet (though at times, I do worry).

Oh, and if I offended anyone I am sorry. I don't mean to use this as a "trump" card, but my grandmother just got home yesterday. She has a broken hip and her medicare has run out on her so she can't stay at an extended care facility any longer (long story). She still can't walk so it is pretty stressful since only my brother and I here to take care of her. Anyhow, I hadn't had a lot of sleep earlier and so I might have been a bit short or seemed overly arrogant.
drachasor is offline   Reply With Quote