View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #123
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by drachasor View Post
Yes, we have a device like that already. It's a Netbook. They likely have better processors than the Ipad (or equal), it's about the same size, and it has a Keyboard so you can use it for more things. Battery Life is comparable. It is also a LOT cheaper (a quarter to half the price).

Given how something that large can be awkwardly heavy, a Netbook is also more useful for reading because it supports the screen when it is in a resting position (if you want to use it for reading). A Netbook also has the capability of running a LOT more programs without artificial restrictions. The icing on the cake is the Ipad doesn't even come with a stylus system, so inputing data on it will be...bad.

This is why I say there's next to no market for this device. Laptops do big things better. Smart phones do portability and battery life better. There is a market for stuff inbetween though, but Netbooks do that better and cheaper than the Ipad. There's very, very little room for something like the Ipad.

And tablets didn't do well because you just can't do that much with just a touch interface. They are much better with a stylus and good software, but the Ipad isn't coming with a stylus. This is going to be very crippling for the device.

I fully disagree with a pretty much all of that.

Netbook processor's suck. Most I've tried choke on streaming video, and I've not found one that could come close to doing HD. Though apparently some newer models are starting to improve on that front--though reviews still put HD play back at so-so and varying greatly by site. From the demo it looks like the iPad handles HD video with no issues power wise.

So I've had no need for a Netbook and outside of work, friends/family, my free time revolves around movies, tv shows and sports so any internet device I have has to be able to handle HD video flawlessly.

Netbooks and laptops are TERRIBLE to read on IMO due to the form factor. A tablet I can hold just like a hardcover book and pretty much just like my kindle. Curl up in the recliner and read, lay on the couch or bed and read just like I do with a real book or my Kindle.

Similarly, I've had no use for a smart phone--especially with data plans being $30 a month. Just no use for browsing the web on such a tiny screen, getting annoyed by e-mails from my students and colleagues everywhere I go etc. If I need directions I've got my Garmin in the car. If I need an address I call a friend or two to find one who's at a computer. And I wouldn't want to read on such a small screen (have tried on a friends iPhone).

I mean I get it. Tablets aren't for you. And that's fine. Netbooks and smart phones aren't for me, but I'd get a lot of use out of the right kind of tablet. And I don't care if that tablet is some huge mass market success, or some niche item that sells 100,000 or less. As long as it does all I need, that's all that matters.

I really don't see why you're here and posting so much if you have ZERO interest in the iPad or Tablets period and think theyll bomb. To be blunt, no one here gives a crap about hearing such opinions. We all want to discuss the iPad/tablets with people who at least are interested in them and want to discuss the pros and cons of the iPad as it fits or doesn't fit their needs.

Not just hear someone basically say "Tablets suck and are useless" repeatedly. I mean I'm not going in to forums for devices like the iRex or PDAs etc. that I find useless and saying that the devices suck etc. I spend my time discussing devices I own or have some interest in.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote