View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
Kivgaen
Enthusiast
Kivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enough

Device: all devices
speaking as a publisher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post

Requiring users to have calibre installed is not something I'm aiming for. It's a wonderful application, to be sure, but Sigil should be able to stand on its own as an ebook editor, which means being able to import various ebook formats.

It's just something you'd expect of an ebook editor, now wouldn't you?
While I do not disagree with anything that you have said, being able to import various ebook formats IS important, and should most definitely be one of your very important items on the development list, I too would not put it at the top of the list above S/R.

But that may be because my goals might be different from yours. If your ultimate goal is for the public to be able to load up their ebook from whatever format it is that they are using, fix problems with it, and then spit it back out so that it looks prettier, then I would agree with you.

But if your goal is more geared towards publishers -- if you want your epub file editor to be more useful RIGHT NOW to publishers who are struggling to get all of their files ready for e-Readers, then those publishers will use Calibre as a secondary tool if they need to.

Publishers don't want what we can already get elsewhere (features in Calibre), we want what doesn't exist yet -- and that's a GOOD way to edit .epub files!
Kivgaen is offline   Reply With Quote