View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 03:05 AM   #59
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks G.M. Since my external style sheet that I use for everything has everything set up the way I want it, I'm going to modify the style for the paragraphs for spacing and then when I'm done I'll change it back. I'll use the toolbar for italics.

And I think I understand your way. (And am going to experiment with it.) Your way sounds like the styles create the CSS Styles for you. Isn't that right? But can you set up first line paragraph indentations (I know you can set up block paragraphs) in the style or does that have to come later? Then when you're done working on your LO doc, you have a whole CSS Style sheet. Granted, the CSS would have to be transferred to an external style sheet but that is one copy and paste.

It's so exciting learning this stuff. Thanks.
Yes, the styles used in my LibreOffice source are all exported to the CSS by the plug-in. The plug-in I use (Writer2xhtml*) produces a complete and reasonably clean epub file. The contents of that epub file (which is really just a zip file) includes the various .xhtml files for each chapter (the plug-in can be set to automatically split the text by heading level, so each chapter ends up in its own xhtml file with extra no work on my part), and it automatically creates the stylesheet.css file that is referenced by the various xhtml files. (Obviously it also includes all the other stuff needed by epub as well.)

So I don't have to write or maintain anything separately, I can just export directly to epub and then play in Sigil to adjust those things I want to adjust. I do a bunch of mostly unnecessary things likes rename the xhtml files to reflect the actual content: titlepage, dedication, chapter1, etc. (the export just named every separate xhtml as chapter1 .. etc.), and I play with the CSS that was automatically created to do whatever it is that I want to do. One necessary thing to check for (for best results on all ereaders) is that the CSS uses all em and % measurements rather than pixel or inches/cm.

* Note that the site heading says Writer2Latex but it offers a few conversions, one of which is Writer2xhtml - which provides an epub export option in LibreOffice and OpenOffice.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote