View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #55
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Some one else on another forum said....

Quote:
The 2.0/Mac version has styles. However, the entire point is to not style your text in the editor, but instead use the compiler to format it.
Just a thought for you on this...
I'm all in favour of not formatting in the editor, and using the compiler to format. However, Scrivener does allow formatting in the editor. There's a whole formatting toolbar. If it allowed me to set styles, I could be sure that any formatting was consistent, but it doesn't, and I've had trouble with inconsistent formatting. I'm not sure where it came from, because I didn't specify formatting, but font sizes and line spacing were different in different documents. That just irritated me and distracted me from the writing. If Scrivener had no formatting controls, that'd be grand, but I found formatting without styles a real pain. (To be fair, I'm using the Linux version, which is a beta release).

There was a lot I liked about Scrivener, but that was one of the reasons I eventually decided to look at another method of working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Regarding the quote: As you know, the computer needs to be told what you want - which is what styles are all about. My first novel could have been written with nothing more than Chapter, Text and Emphasis styles - in other words, it could have been written in Scrivener without any issue. However...
I suspect the person who wrote that assumed that only Chapter & Text styles are needed, in which case they can be set when compiling.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote