View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you going to leave us in suspense, Mike, or tell us what you actually did do?
Well, first let me tell you what I didn't do.

Rightly or wrongly, I still feel a bit doubtful about removing DRM. Actually, that's not quite true. I don't have any pangs of conscience about the process of DRM removal - but only if the book was entirely for my own use.

But I'm not completely sure about removing it in order to make copies for other people to read. Maybe the fact that the other person happens to be married to me would make a difference, but I'm not sure. What if my sister-in-law also asked for a copy? Would it still be ethical? Where do you draw the line?

Swapping Kindles. Yes, this is a better idea. The trouble is that I'm a much slower reader than my wife. Plus, she likes to read two or three books at the same time, whereas I can only handle one at a time.

If we swapped Kindles, I'd have to hang onto hers for a couple of weeks or more, during which time she'd be wanting to read several of her own books. We don't have the same taste in books (Stieg Larsson's works being an exception), and she's unlikely to find anything on my device that she likes.

The solution we adopted is one that will doubtless be met with abhorrence by all right-thinking members of MobileRead. Nevertheless ...

We bought the paperback version.

Before you rush to condemn me, let me point to the economics:

Kindle version of The Girl Who Played with Fire on Amazon.com: $7.99 (say, £5.50).

Kindle version on Amazon UK: £2.68

Total cost of ebook: £8.18

Cost of paperback (Amazon UK with free delivery): £3.85

To me, that's a compelling argument.

Mind you, I haven't actually started reading the book yet. Maybe after a few pages I'll be longing for the convenience of the electronic version. We'll see.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote