View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb27 View Post
On the tablet, I have Kindle for PC, Aldiko, Calibre Companion, and "My Library" (which came with the tablet). If I try to open a .mobi file the tablet says it has no idea how to open that type of file.
Mobi files must go into the "kindle" folder. There must not be any subfolders.
Quote:
Is there a way, in Calibre on the PC to simply copy, or send the books I'm interested in via the wired connection to the tablet?
If you are using Windows XP, then no. If you are using Windows Vista or newer, then upgrade to calibre 0.9.0 (this week's release) and your device should be detected.
Quote:
I tried "send to device" but I don't see the tablet listed and all of the options that say "Send to xyz" are grayed out. Note: sometimes the options aren't grayed out but Send to main memory sends the books to some unknown location.
How you determine that location depends on how Calibre connects (which "plugin"). In the rare cases that your device is recognized by calibre, what is displayed at the bottom of the calibre window?
Quote:
I tried copying the books (using windows explorer) from where they are stored on my PC, directly to a directory on my tablet (i.e. a folder called ebooks). And then in Calibre Companion, under "book formats and folders", I changed the default folder to point to the folder where I had copied the books. But the companion does not see them.
CC will scan for new books in its folders when it connects to calibre. It might be worth your trouble to fight with your wifi one more time so that CC can do that connect.
Quote:
Note: that when I copied them from the pc I copied the calibre folder which contains .mobi file, the cover.jpg and the metadata.opf file. so therefore, the ebooks folder on the tablet actually contains folders which contain books. Perhaps that level of indirection is an issue?
Yes, it is, at least for Kindle for Android.

You should not copy books directly out of your library. Instead, use "Save to Disk" or "Connect to Folder" to export the books to some folder on your computer, then copy them from there.
Quote:
This doesn't seem like it should be so hard, does it?
All I want to do is copy books to my tablet and read them. I'd rather do it with Calibre because it's the best ebook organizer I've ever found.
It does seem that you are encountering a perfect storm of problems: the combination of unreliable WiFi and unreliable cabled connections. It is very hard to think of alternatives if neither of these work reliably.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote