View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
Indigo121
Enthusiast
Indigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook
Nook disregarding word-spacing in Epub

I'm trying to make my Nook-Touch use the entire width of the screen, which is more than the built-in margin selection permits me. This is so I can read as many words as possible in a single line for a better reading experience.

To do this I edit the Epub's CSS to make them have negative margins like so-
margin-left: -3pt;
margin-right: -3pt;

This works. The problem is that the Nook simply spaces out the words more instead of cramming more into the line. i.e the number of words are the same in each line, the spaces just grow.

I've tried defining word spacing in the Stylesheet but the Nook seems to be ignoring them. like so-
word-spacing: -0.1em;

Does anybody have an idea is this is possible? Is it a Nook issue or am I doing something wrong with the stylesheet?

---- UPDATE -----------------------

Thanks for your replies. About hyphenation- The Nook DOES hyphenate. Big time. This seems to be the default in Nook and from what I read cannot be changed.

Setting text-align: justify; to the EPUB has resulted in LESS hyphenation. Still, no matter what I do, I still get the same amount of words in a line per page. Very strange.

Last edited by Indigo121; 09-04-2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Update
Indigo121 is offline   Reply With Quote