View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #70
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
However I dislike new device just months after I got mine, it is not that bad move for manufacturer. For wifi, it is the most simple way to upgrade without user interference. Also, it seems to be easier to buy a book via internet. Exclude PC and you find no trouble. The question is do I want manufacturer to make decisions for me? My answer is "no", but it might differ for others on the forum.
Kobo wifi certainly lands rather quickly after Kobo original. But early Kobo buyers didn't "lose" anything -- it's a fine, very basic reader which -- at the time -- saved them $100 or more. That was real savings then.

I'm delighted that Kobo was able to bring out an enhanced unit after there was a sea-change in the industry -- Kindle and Nook dropping from $259 to $189 to $139. Kobo managed to drive lots more value into their device at the same price.

Kobo has also continued to enhance its kobobooks bookstore and drastically broaden the Kobo platform across Blackberry, iPhone, Android phone and tablets on each platform. The under lying software has morphed to support syncing across multiple devices. And, the orignal Kobo is less than four months old in the US market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Well, since this board is big on cracking DRM; why not buy a K3 for the better hardware, buy books from any store, then crack the DRM so they can be read on a K3?
I disagree with this. Mobileread is not about hacking. More to the point, the average consumer is just not bothering with DRM hacks. So the Kobo needs to be evaluated as it is, out of the box.

And that's where the Kobo shines: simple interface, affordable price, access to library books, access to DRM ePub books from Kobo, Sony and elsewhere, and a genuine multi-platform commitment on Blakberry, iPhone, Android, phones and tablets, PCs and Macs. And now: wifi delivery of content right to the device. It's a decent bundle, all things considered, for US$139.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote