View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #65
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
I don't know about all of the rest of the statistics, but this one rang sadly true for me. Just about the only time in my life that I HAVEN'T read books constantly for pleasure (and a bit of learning too) was while I was in college. Mostly I was just too busy to read, but also I think I was rebelling a bit against having to read a lot of assigned books. Somehow I've always disliked being told what books to read, and then having to analyze them to someone else's satisfaction. I even remember hating The Hobbit, a book I like so much that I voluntarily re-read it every few years, during the time I was assigned to read it in an English class!

So, during my college years, I too read little or nothing for pleasure. This is probably a sad comment on our educational system, but luckily, I found my way back to reading pretty quickly after graduating. However, I can easily see how lots of folks might never find their way back...
This was true for me also. I worked 30 hours a week to pay for school when I was in college so between work and school I literally had no time to read for pleasure. I remember looking forward to summer and winter breaks so that I could finally have time to read novels again!
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote