View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #81
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I think everyone wants the better phone -- it's the other expenses which seem unnecessary given the fact my bill's $54 for unlimited data and the Airrave's free.

I've liked the Galaxy iterations so far and didn't buy the SIII simply because I was hoping for the Nexus version. I like the idea of using an external DAC and OTG cable with the SIII as well, since the Stateside version doesn't have the Wolfson DAC which the non-LTE iterations do. (None of the S4s use the superior DAC, unfortunately and I tend to use rather high-quality headphones and amps in the office. This means that, unless there's an OTG option for external DACs like the iBasso variety, every single LTE smartphone with the possible exception of the iP5 will frustrate critical listeners. That's one reason the 920's right out at the moment -- we'll see if devs find a way to use an external DAC.)

For now, there would have to be a compelling reason for me to want the Nexus 4 and I don't see one. The Nokia 920 looks fabulous but for the fact the OS is too new -- let someone else beta-test it. I thought about the latest Photon Q because of the keyboard, but it isn't powerful enough and I expect a detailed non-fatiguing screen at this point as well. The Butterfly and the Nokia both seem to have that.

When it comes to phones, I'm an empiricist. I don't believe in being swayed by marketing, but neither will I allow it to put me off buying something I know I'll enjoy (or use the most for reasons other than aesthetic gadget bliss). The whole business of identifying human qualities with brands seems ridiculous to me -- likewise condemning brands for the same anthropomorphic reasons.

I only champion Apple when I think people are being sadistic or elitist about their preferences and making someone else miserable as a result. I personally have never bought a smartphone that lacked a removable battery or a card slot and I'd rather not start unless I have to.

Funny you should mention a NAS. The ones I've been looking at have a particular app that works with every iteration of the Galaxy S. I love the idea of streaming my media collection from home without ever touching public services like Google Drive (ad-tracked storage), Amazon Prime (with its vanilla mainstream movie library) and Spotify.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-04-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote