View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #20
ted-san
ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks for trying things out. I've simply taken Andrei's font hack and replaced the reading fonts (as noted in a previous post).

Some (potentially) interesting info from my Kindle 2 studies:
- There's wide variation in screen quality. The best of the screens show no ghosting. The worst show so much ghosting that pages are only easily readable after pressing alt-G.
- The 'good' units have dark, sharply defined pixels. Most readers with good eyes find these units to be very readable, when well lit, with the original font.
- In dimmer lighting, some of the modified fonts are popular, even for those with good eyes and a good unit. Georgia has been very popular. It's a serif font that I've tweaked slightly to be bolder, yet maintain the fine features of a good serif font.
- Those that like sans-serif fonts favor the different flavors of Helvetica.
- Some of the varieties put on the site were designed for those with poorer vision. Conditions such as macular degeneration and cataracts. These read like a large print book. Super bold and large.
- Others I've just adjusted aspect ratios or tweaked individual characters for maximum legibility on the K2. Typically the "tall" varieties maintain the normal width, so as to keep the characters per line, but stretch the height 10%-20%.

Based on feedback, I am unsurprised that there's a wide variety of opinions. People even say they switch from day-to-day based on how their eyes are feeling or based on reading situation. I.e., switching to a bolder font for nighttime reading.

I don't check these postings often. If you have feedback or requests, please join my beta-testers feedback group

Also, if you find a font you like, please participate in the poll posted on kindleboards. We're trying to put together as much useful information as possible regarding the fonts so that if/when Amazon implements a fix, they do it in a way that people will find useful.

Last edited by ted-san; 05-03-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: changed email notification
ted-san is offline   Reply With Quote