View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTaRe View Post
While I thought it was a generally accepted idea that emmissive and backlit displays create more eye strain due to brightness and refresh rates, you're right to be asking for proof.

In a paper published on January 28, 2009 -- Measuring the degree of eyestrain caused by watching LCD and PDP devices -- four researchers created and tested a method that measured eye strain in individuals. Their findings were that both produce a large degree of eyestrain and that LCD devices produce a greater degree of eyestrain then PDP. The results were based on calculating the blink rate and pupil dilation of the subject, in a real time algorithm, while watching the displays.

Still, you're correct in stating that I shouldn't have used the word "proven" without quoting a reference. My apologies. I'm a firm believer that people producing web content should do so responsibly and be held to task if reckless.

Hope that you and the other MobileReaders enjoyed the article though.
Thanks a bunch. I've been looking for a few studies that established realistic links between emissive displays and eye fatigue or eye strain. Most such claims are just claims without any real evidence behind them, and many people are not especially sensitive to LCD viewing, myself included.

Also, Pixel Qi was saying their current screen's power consumption is about half a watt in reflective mode, while your article suggested 0.2 watts. Was that figure from Notion Ink, or from Pixel Qi?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote