View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #95
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontaylor7 View Post
Perhaps, but one could equally argue that your ownership of your book has nothing to do with your illegal downloading of someone else's illegal upload of it. Similarly, just because you own a dvd doesn't mean you can download an mpeg of it off of the internet.
In the Netherlands, I can. It's a copy for personal use. I am allowed to get a copy of the text, and I am allowed to convert my DVD to MPEG. How I do it, is no issue. I can "copy" the text if I'm lucky enough to find it in electronic form, and "convert" the DVD by downloading the MPEG.

Because of this, and the fact that it is impossible for a person surfing the net to check if every clip, text, movie or file or whatever they download is legally put onto the internet, the "Forbidden to download" motion was rejected in the Netherlands.

Quote:
Did you know it's illegal to play music in your car with your windows rolled down? Also, who is to say you didn't backup your hard drive? What if you sold your laptop on ebay and forgot to erase the hdd? Now how many copies of the book are there? What if the book was revoked by the publisher, as has occurred on the kindle platform for certain titles? What if a hacker hacked into your computer and uploaded your ebook to the intertubes? Were you negligent in not having enough numerals in your pw? How do you know your hard disk isn't file-shared to your roommate(s)? Did you forget to disable simple file sharing? What if a backup was stored in the cloud, and employees of a large company had the ability to read the book? What if your mother is visiting and reading the hardcopy whilst you are reading the digital version? Now that translator, being out a sale, could be mighty p*ss*d.

Sadly, at the end of the day, it has mostly to do with which law firm you would have represent you than anything else, like the actual facts of a case, IMO.
Those are very far fetched things to be concerned about. If someone breaks into my home and steals my notebook with this copy of the eBook on it, and then uploads it onto the internet, then these are TWO crimes on his account, not mine. Also, if I store this eBook into a cloud protected with a good password and maybe even encrypted and the host is hacked, then I'm sure this will not be a problem.

It's all about intentions here. If you see with what utter crimes some people can get away because of an "oops, mistake" in the report of one of the judges, then having an eBook clearly intended for personal use on a stolen laptop will not be a problem. It's the same as holding ME accountable for someone breaking into my home, stealing the hardcover, copying it page by page, and then selling those. It's too far fetched.

But this is getting a bit off topic. I don't intend to share this creation with anyone except (maybe) the publisher. Not intentionally at least, and that will be clear enough. If I'd wanted to share it, then it'd be clear enough too: then I'd be on Usenet or Torrent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
No good deed remains unpunished.
They 'll sue you.
For typing / getting / OCR-ing the text into my computer, creating an ebook out of it and offering it to them for free? That'd be the day

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-09-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote