View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #26
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
I don't know that particular book, but the books on phonology I have read aren't the kind of thing that you sit down and read like you would read fiction or nonfiction written for the general reader.

It's more like a math textbook: you don't read it cover to cover as much as you *work through it* (or maybe use it for reference). "Phonology" is usually a third year linguistics course at a university and you may use one phonology textbook for the entire class (although you may supplement with article or other reading). In class, you would probably read something like 1-2 chapters a week, depending on the book, but you'd spend several hours doing so to make sure you understood each concept, memorizing whatever was necessary. Otherwise, you won't be able to really understand what goes on in the following chapters.
You're right, phonology textbooks do take a long time to read. I'll probably have to read it a second time anyway since there are some rules I don't understand. I stopped taking notes because I don't want to write things that are wrong--it seems like I need to understand the whole chapter, not just the subheadings, to take good notes.

I made a lot of progress yesterday. I only have 90 pages left to read. I listened to some dance music while reading and it helped a lot.

I think the first few chapters were the hardest. The book is getting easier and more interesting. I read passages aloud because picturing in my head what a particular sound or symbol "does" is pretty hard.

Quote:
I've always listened to techno or trance. The soft background melodies that repeat itself are an excellent way for the brain timer to shut itself off.
If you don't have these kinds of music, just turn on a room fan, or something with a constant pitch or whine that the brain will shut out.

Provide the brain with all the nutrients it needs. Milk and honey are good nutrients!
Spagetti is a great food to eat before studying.

A short catnap before study can do miracles as well, as it clears memory, and synopses are most sensitive 30 min to 1 hour after waking up!
Thanks a lot for all the great advice! Could you recommend some good techno/ trance music?
Beginner-reader is offline   Reply With Quote