View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #30
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Its basic plot is of course that of a love story, but it's not a soppy girly sort of story. I'm no fan of that kind of thing myself, and I think it's a wonderful book. It's the characters who make it such a good story: Mr Collins, the obsequious clergyman, the ghastly Mrs Bennett, and of course the seemingly appalling Mr Darcy. It's just a great book.
And, of course, the equally appalling Elizabeth.
That, of course, is the major point of the book - everybody suffers from "P&P" (except the soppy Jane and her soppy bloke), especially when they think they don't.
It is a very subtle book, constructed like a set of Chinese boxes.
JA was definitely a "oncer" though; the rest of her stuff just reads like a boring version of Georgette Heyer.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote