View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #95
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I wrote my first post in this thread after I had only used the Aura for an hour or so. I have revised my thinking about some of what I wrote.
  • I have gotten used to the new normal for Kobo in terms of how to access menus and "hidden" items and I am now fine with italics indicating that there are some choices that will display when the word in italics is pressed. It's not a happy thing for people using several different Kobo devices, but I'm OK with it.
  • Now that I have used it for a longer period of time, I guess my muscles memory has kicked in and I am not getting having to double press at all. The downside is that I spent a little while on a Touch today and it seemed really clunky and I was double pressing a lot.
  • It took me awhile to figure out what long presses do in various locations. The user guide was helpful there. Long press on a book in the library and the menu for putting books on shelves, deleting, etc is invoked. Long press on a shelf listing to rename or delete it. Long press on something displayed on the home page to dismiss it. That sort of thing.
  • I still think the new home screen is too crowded and that the small size of some book covers makes them very difficult to read. Now that I have dismissed some things and opened a bunch of books, I have things arranged so that this is a bit better. I think that the new books on the homescreen are particularly annoying with tiny covers.
  • I really like the fact that all of the preloaded fonts can be adjusted. That is new in this firmware, so not really Aura only.
  • I continue to be delighted by the speed of the device. It's especially noticeable when processing new content.
  • I really like the display. I know people complain about the bottom space, but I did a comparison of two pages set up exactly the same way on the Glo and the Aura. I found that the Aura displayed 4 more physical lines of text, but 8 additional lines worth of content (that is, 8 lines that were on the next page on the Glo appeared on the original page of the Aura).
  • I think that some of the problems with spacing are kepub vs epub and that the font selected can make a huge difference. My solution was to install the calibre epub to kepub plugin and to use Georgia, for now. I have not seen any issues at all with this scheme. I also enjoy the information about progress, % read, in the kepub format.
  • The higher density screen has resulted in a greater degree of satisfaction with reading with the light entirely off. With my glo I had the light on all of the time because the clarity of he text seemed better with the light on.
  • From my perspective, the amount of text on the screen really does make the Aura look and read more like a paper book.
  • I find the Aura very comfortable to hold. The shape of the back is part of that and after I got used to the feel of a nekkid reader, I found that it didn't actually feel slippery when using it, nor did it ever actually slip from my grip. I am not planning on getting a cover, at least not unless I find myself taking it out of my house more often than I am now. I read on a very big phone for the 15 minutes or so I have to read during the work day.
  • I still think that Kobo traded some usability for elegance/wow factor in terms of the interface, particularly in terms of the number of items on the home page, but I can live with it.

Last edited by taming; 04-27-2013 at 04:41 AM. Reason: missing item
taming is offline   Reply With Quote