View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
The point is that those other stores don't service their customer base the way that Amazon does with the freebies.
If I find a book free at Amazon, odds are it's free elsewhere if it's on offer at the other stores as well. And if it's not free at the other site at the same time, I find that it will be soon. So a lot, if not most, freebies aren't limited to Amazon at all.

I think you're assuming that it's Amazon who's making the decision to offer a book for free, rather than the author or the publisher. If it's from one of the Agency Six, then they're certainly deciding that for themselves. I don't see why other authors wouldn't do that as well if they think it's in their best interest in order to build up a fan base and advertise their own work.

I haven't seen anything anywhere that suggests that Amazon is the one choosing the freebies to offer and then paying the author for each download anyway. Which is what they'd have to do to make the book a "loss leader".

What evidence do you have that the freebies actually are Amazon's decisions to make, and that they're losing money on them?
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote