View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I question the wisdom of this. Buying 90 copies of a prospective bestseller because there are 500 patrons on the waiting list will please at least 90 and perhaps 200.The rest will still be annoyed if they were going to be annoyed to start out with, and if the list reaches 2000 do they then buy several hundred more?
[snip]
Helen
My library will order 300+ copies of a book expected to be a bestseller; here's link to 280 HB copies of Dan Brown's latest: http://sherloc.imcpl.org/?itemid=|li.../dynix|1422435

In addition to the PB list, there are 50 e-books available.

I don't think ordering that many books annoys anyone who wants the book; even if you are the 2000th person wanting the book, the wait will be much shorter than it would be if there were only 50 copies available.

And I think that's what libraries should do; you certain don't want a library that only has books no one wants to read...even though you also don't want a library that only has books everyone wants to read.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote