View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
tmclough
Connoisseur
tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I was going to suggest classical music, as others have, until I read this. What kind of circumstances are you trying to read in? A room with noisy people in? If so, it's not surprising that you have concentration problems.

Perhaps you need to find a quiet space in which to read.

Otherwise, I'd recommend classical music.
Even when I'm at home (I live alone), listening to classical or other instrumental music, my mind still wanders a lot while trying to read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Can you listen to a podcast or talk radio while reading?
Unfortunately, they both require the part of the brain that processes language, hence it would have to be one or the other, or, more likely, neither.

I'm starting to wonder if one reason I can do puzzles (Sudoku, jigsaw) while listening is because puzzles are about as close as I'll get to hyperfocus; i.e., they can be very addictive for me. (Even after the podcast is over, I'll still want to do "Just one more piece! Just one more piece! Really, this is the last one! Ooo, I'm getting somewhere--let me just do a little more!" ) That said, they don't make me achieve hyperfocus, as I can still listen to podcasts, etc.

Just a thought.
tmclough is offline   Reply With Quote