View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #28
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
It's nothing to do with the classics. The Sony reader zombies out at the store all the time. Maybe it's overwhelmed with traffic, but it zonks out about everytime I've used it, since the last update or two (and I only go there when they have a free book). Sometimes you can move back and forth to the library and the store and get it to reconnect, sometimes it stays stuck with spinning wheels and others it finally gets a timeout error (once you get this, you must exit the program completely in order to reconnect). It really looks like, from a programming side, that there is no error recovery in the reader side of the store - it issues one request and if it doesn't hear back, it does, rather than hitting a timer and then issuing the request again. And the lack of ability to retry a connect to the store after the timeout error is a sign (one of many) of a very poor programmer/interface.

It's almost like they don't want you to buy their books, so they can then blame the reader's failure on lack of reading. More likely, three different divisions are handing things: one for the reader, one for the store software and another for the web store.

I know that a poor internet connection can cause this. My mom and I don't have this problem at all...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote