View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
janjanjan
Enthusiast
janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook ST Glow
Nook App for Android

I own original Nook and ST Glow Nook, and enjoy both. In fact, I would have sworn that I wouldn't enjoy reading books on a back-lit device. I also own a Google Nexus 7, and recently downloaded the Nook app and the Overdrive app. To my immense surprise, I find the Overdrive app for ebook reading to be the best reader I've ever used. Granted, it probably lacks some of the nook functionality, but nothing I've wanted to do is difficult.

And, with the Nook app, I also get the basic Nexus 7 functionality such as the back arrow, the ability to tile multiple apps, etc. My favorite functionality is exactly the bookmark and navigation functionality that I find frustrating on the Nook. When I select the contents function from the bottom menu, I actually get very useful scrollable contents lists. So, it's easy to find maps or illustrations. And, this app supports furthest page read (not last page read that the Nook supports) that's been missing from the Nook for a long time. My first Nook had that functionality, even though it operated imperfectly, but that choice disappeared with an update long ago.

And, of course, the Nexus 7 is a full-featured tablet that uses all Google Play apps.

As far as the Overdrive app goes, the reader is simplified, lacking font support, for example. But, I can download and read directly from the library without any sideloading. I can also return and delete the book directly from the device vs having to use the ADE program for both.

This is encouraging for me--it means that even if Nook eventually fails, I have books from B&N on a more universal device, and I can interface that device and others with my laptop, or not, as I choose.
janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote