View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think first and foremost a writer has to write for him/herself otherwise what's the point? If you try to write for some imaginary person or group you are more likely to sound forced or otherwise unreal in your text. And if you aren't writing for yourself first then chances are you aren't writing a tale that you want to tell either.
We are sympatico my friend. Now I must tell you upfront that writing is not my first job and therefore I think that I am not unduly influenced by the "publish or perish" pressure that is intense for those attempting to live off their "quill" or even those that in their very core of existence want to "make it big" and display placards that say "soul for hire" in case there are any takers.

I write stories that I like. The only considerations that might come up concerning my audience is character selection and placement and there I think that I am intuitively influenced enough by literature in general that I automatically do what usually works and never try those odd experiments in writing which you might find in a "Left hand of Darkness." or in a Gordon Dickson "human traits division" book, or say a very stylized "Gor" series. I do admire those authors and their abilities, but I think they went too far on occasion. Mr Spock would have said many times "does not compute."
In passing, I think that sometimes the success an author has with a first book then drives him into "pot boiler" mode and the vast outpouring of words to satisfy a publisher. "Dune" was a case in point. A wonderful first book, a great movie, and then a proliferation of crap ensued.
I have to admit even the great Robert Jordan in the "Wheel of Time" succumbed to the forces of the "money making" machine and began to churn out 700 page books that should have been 200 pages, but at least they didn't become pathetic like Dune and Gor in their later cycles.

I also stay away from the use of stilted language, though I do admit an admiration for "Yoda" type expression. (A favorite character of mine.)
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote