View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur
AuthorGreg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 2nd Gen, Kindle 7" Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Wait a minute. I know the Nook Simple Touch overrides ePub styles with its own defaults (unless you enable publisher defaults), but I'm not quite following what you're saying here. Are you saying that the NST (out of the box) actually alters content by converting emdashes to endashes? Or do you mean that the default font used by the NST simply utilizes a smaller emdash character that's more endash-like than most other fonts? There's a big difference I would think.

Where is this other thread you mentioned?
Look in the Calibre Conversion section, thread titled "Dreaded Em Dashes."

Here's what I am seeing: If I format an ePub using either Calibre or Sigil, that ePub displays beautifully on Adobe Digital Editions, the online Pubit! previewer, the Nook Desktop PC viewers, as well as on the Nook Color, and every other Nook device EXCEPT the Simple Touch.

Another funny thing. If I use Calibre and convert an AZW or PRC file to ePub, then the Simple Touch preserves true (sticky) em dashes. That'd be a good way to solve that problem, but unfortunately, aside from the em dashes, the final ePub looks pretty shoddy.

I'll admit I got a little too wrapped around the axle about this Simple Touch thing. But when I see that the Big-6 Publishers know the recipe for uniform display across multiple devices, and I see that my books look like crap on the Simple Touch when the user overrides the publisher default, well, it bothers me.

The Simple Touch has been out for over a year now. As I don't sell near as many books on the Nook as I do the Kindle, I guess I can live with this mess until I figure out the formatting secrets of the Big-Six.

Greg
AuthorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote