View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 02:39 AM   #8
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Humbert View Post
I'm using FBReader because it's the only one available for the Nokia N800 or N810 Tablet. I love this thing... I have wireless networking in my home, and I can go in any room, sit down, and use this to browse, read mail, or just sit and read a book. I've been sticking mainly with the .html versions of most books because the images are at least available with that format. Unfortunately, most formatting, and most links DON'T work. Some do, most don't. All in all, I'd love to see a MOBI reader for the N800, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. I ditched my palm because it was too small for my old eyes. The N800 is just right!

Gene
I too am using Fbreader on my N800 as, like you say, it's the only reasonable game in town unless one installs KDE or takes the GVM route. Bleeeeech on either of those options.

I have been frustrated with FBreader lately as it forgets where to find content or seems to get stuck with a cached library list. Of course I keep my books on the external card which is where FBreader seems to have it's issue. The issue is on the bug list...I just d/l'd a bunch of new books and of course FBreader no longer can find either MMC1 (external card) or MMC2 (internal card). So, it appears I will need to, once again, uninstall and re-install. Last time I had to completely re-flash the tablet OS to fix the issue. Not a lot of fun...

So, for me when the app works, it is GREAT and does a fine job on .mobi format books. But when it gets this issue, it's a POS and bugs me no end as by this time this issue should have long since been fixed. Then again, while I realize it's a free app, this is also why such apps are not the future...the open source comunity is so fragmented, tempermental, clique-ish and at the same time anarchistic (ironic how it can be both, huh?) it seems few apps ever truly mature.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote