View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #8
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Let's just say that when an article starts with a gross inaccuracy like that one (hint, agency pricing hasn't been in place for over two years, so Amazon _has_ been setting prices for the past two years), I tend to be rather skeptical of it.
And it ends the same way!

To be fair, however, if a generous reader mentally fixes those errors, the thesis isn't much helped or harmed.

The two scholarly links are worth reading -- the one from 2012 because you don't need a graduate degree to understand the statistics, and the one from 2013 because it has more information, and is as much about the future as the past.

One can find quotes from either to support or oppose claims in the OP article, and in threads like this one.

This idea, from page 4 of the 2013 article, was new to me:

Quote:
if Kindle price is low, it is better for the publishers to set a high ebook price to recover from the cannibalization loss. If the Kindle price is high, publishers can safely set a relatively low ebook price and still benefit from selling both ebooks and print books.
It is illustrated by a chart on page 35.

The context of the above quotation is lowering Kindle prices during the agency pricing period, but it seems to me likely true going forward.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 08-10-2014 at 09:12 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote