View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #9615
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Also, it is a pBook from the library and I forgot to bring it with me but I did bring my eReader which has Barbara Hambly's Those Who Hunt the Night on it. I read about 18 pages of that yesterday and it seems like I will really enjoy and such a deal at 99 cents.
Hee. Another maybe-convert!

I hope good sales at the discount price encourage the publisher to try lowering the price on more titles (or Amazon to just randomly pricedrop them, which also works for me).

Fun fact: Hambly used to be married to native New Orleans writer George Alec Effinger and lived there part-time for a number of years before they split up. If you ever wonder what their relationship would be kind of like if they'd met during 1920s Hollywood while trying to keep a Manchu demon from killing again, then you should pick up Hambly's marvelously entertaining retro-historical paranormal thriller Bride of the Rat God, especially if you like old silent films and wonder about the industry behind them.

I just finished my own re-read of my brand-new legal digital copy of Barbara Hambly's Those Who Hunt the Night (1989 Locus Best Horror Novel, only 99 cents at Amazon's summer sale, good until June 15th).

It was as brilliant and clever and thus, excellent and awesome, as I remembered it, and for the main part Open Road Media have done a pretty good job with the e-book. Nice formatting with faux-small caps opening the first line of each chapter, no-indent on first paragraph of a scene, proper flickable chapter marks, etc.

The only problem was a semi-regular squishing together of two words or a word and punctuation, probably due to an overzealous line-break-removal script, which shows up every few page turns.

But that's a fairly minor issue which otherwise does not interfere with the meaning or readability of the text that I'll be contacting Amazon about with my highlighted clippings w/locations so that it can be fixed.

Aside from that, the book appears to be typo free and comes with a nifty bonus of Hambly's personal pictures following her biography in the back. ORM's blurbs say that this and all the other Hambly re-pubs contain an exclusive photogallery and I'm wondering if it's the same one for all, or they vary the pictures in some of them.

Highest possible recommend as one of the best-of-breed-if-you're-wanting-to-try-this-genre novels you should pick up if you have any interest whatsoever in gaslight paranormal investigations of vampire murders.

And even if you're not, you still can't go wrong for only 99 cents as long as you've some vague interest in Edwardian-era British mystery/suspense Great Game/detective thrillers because it's a very good one of those, too.

Last edited by ATDrake; 06-03-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Add fun fact. And more book-peddling.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote