Thread: Penguin
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
raymiles
raymiles began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, MacBook
I purchased a Penguin Classic, Selected Poems of William Wordsworth, from Amazon UK, but the formatting looked terrible on my iPod Touch and almost as bad on my MacBook: something to do with line numbering in the left hand margin, I think, that made the verse lines run off the screen or into the next line. I complained to Amazon and they refunded my money within hours and withdrew the book from my Library. It probably looks fine on the Kindle, but I don't have one (yet).
As an experiment, I bought the same book from iTunes. Same problem, and this time I couldn't read it at all on the Mac, only on the Touch. I fired off an email to iTunes and got the refund a couple of days later, but they haven't deleted it from my account, so I can in theory still read it.
I therefore see no reason to buy Penguins from either Penguin direct or from Waterstones. I can use Hotspot Shield and buy from B&N if I want and sometimes the dollar price is cheaper than sterling.
My main grouse with Penguin is that so little of its catalogue is available in ebook format. No Gabriel García Marquéz! Come on publishers, this is perhaps the world's greatest living novelist and all that's available is on collection of short stories, in Spanish! I can think of countless other writers of distinction whose work is still not available, so I for one won't be giving up treebooks yet awhile.
raymiles is offline   Reply With Quote