View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #147
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Following that logic, BlackBerry PlayBook and HP TouchPad should have been way more successful products.
Both did have great web browsers.
And they actually have been well designed products.
Both did bomb disastrously. HP TouchPad was taken from the market, BlackBerry PlayBook still sells but only for less than half of the original price.

Obviously, most consumers don't want to be limited to web apps.
Offline usage is one argument. Optimisation of layout, display size and such certainly another argument.
And lots of stuff simply isn't available as web apps.
I'm into navigation apps for example. Love to look for Points of Interest for example when on vacation. Navigon and the likes don't have web apps and I don't want to be limited to Google Maps.
With the Touchpad (I have one) it was more of an issue of cost, size, and weight compared to other devices. And those apps that had been ported stank. WebOS is great, but unfinished. Asian language support is not available without major hacking. And the device doesn't look good. Still, at the right price it was a major success and at the time, they could have sold it for 300 and still sold well. Had they done that they probably would have been successful. More of a business strategy failure than anything else.

Anyway, for me the Surface RT is a PC that can also double as a tablet. I can use it for work and play, a different class of device. No Android or iOS device would allow me to leave my laptop at home. This one does, not for everyone, of course. A lot of people will need the Pro version.

Last edited by HansTWN; 11-13-2012 at 04:15 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote