View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Unfortunately it's not as simple as that, as I found out when I created my "Sketching Goodies".

With images it's simple: 1024x1280 pixels, Full Screen, 100% (Or Fit Page) - it's all good.

The same image, converted as lossless original size, in Adobe's own Acrobat Pro no less: Full Screen, 100%: black borders, some scaling artifacts. Using Fit Page or Hide Margins: Now it fits, but STILL some scaling artifacts... (ex.: Graph.pdf) And it's slower too, for obvious reasons.

Why??? It's a 1024x1280 image on a 1024x1280 display? Wikipedia to the rescue: "PDF graphics use a device independent Cartesian coordinate system to describe the surface of a page." (Link)

In other words, it doesn't do pixel-based sizing. Everything is an approximation - the price of resolution independence...

Another reason why I personally tried to avoid this format for anything other than printing things out, which is what it was intended for. But now since it's the only properly supported format on the DR1000 I have to deal with it more, and I still don't see anything I like.

Last edited by allovertheglobe; 10-26-2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Link
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote