View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #59
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by montmorency View Post
Someone mentioned a BBC production of The Hobbit with Ian Holm. I wonder if they were thinking of the production of "The Lord of The Rings", from (I think) the 1980s? This was excellent and full of good actors like Holm, and one of my favourite radio actors, Jack May, who was also famous as the character "Nelson Gabriel" in the long running radio soap "The Archers", which is still running, although sadly Jack has now passed away. He was also a well respected stage actor. It was done completely straight, with no dumbing-down, which made it all the better. It's possible they also did a version of "The Hobbit" at about that time as well of course, although I may have missed it.

My introduction to the book of The Hobbit also came via the BBC, on a long running children's programme called "Children's Hour". This was back in the late 1950s, and it was read by one of their well-loved regulars David Davies. It wasn't a drama, but they introduced it with some very dramatic music - I think it might have been "Night on a bare mountain" by Mussorgsky - or if not that, then something equally dramatic, and it used to send chills down my spine, and I can still remember the feeling, if not the exact music, after all these years. Yes, 1950s; surprising isn't it? I don't look that old! :-)
I mentioned "The Hobbit" featuring Ian Holm. The version I have is from 1997 and was released by BBC Radio. Looking over the packaging, I discovered I was in error about Ian Holm appearing this version. It starred Paul Daneman as Bilbo Baggins. I apologize for the error.

This version is very good, features a full cast recording (featuring more than 30 performers) and is contained on four CDs (with a fifth disc that contains music from the audio play), and a map. Before hearing this, my only experience with "The Hobbit" was via the Rankin-Bass animated movie.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote