View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #12
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm not sure how you inferred that from my two posts.

My point, no doubt foggily expressed, was that even on the lowest costing of your own labour, converting hundreds of books just for yourself works out to be incredibly expensive in relative terms.

Buy the buggers commercially, is my view. If they're not available commercially as ebooks, and you must have one, do it yourself by all means. I've done a few myself simply because they're not in existence as ebooks and the paper ones I own are falling to bits. (and very hard to find second hard, at that.)

I'm sure there's an economic principle I was taught many years ago about this, but I've forgotten the jargon now.

For instance, if for some mad reason I wanted e-editions of Ian Fleming's complete works, what makes more sense? Take on an extra wedding limo job--five hours or so at rate, punting a bridal party around in a Rolls-Royce--and then blow the proceeds on the commercial editions already available? Or spend three weeks sweltering in a computer room scanning and etc etc them myself?

No-brainer, really.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote