View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #35
X read X
Banned
X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone 4, Jetbook Color.
I disagree with every one of these statement so much it's not even funny. Have you even used one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post

BASING ON WHAT I'VE READ AND SEEN from other users (I think it's enough for a first idea), here's what I think:
Ok so you haven't even used one yet. Yea, that's credible.

Quote:
[*]Hard on eyes
it seems HARDLY readable at home, unless you like to use a very strong white lamp straight over your head, pointed to the reader's screen. Like the one used for the video review. It'll be good under sunlight, no doubts. But to my eyes, this background results probably darker than the most crappy Sipix, although the black is very intense. How are your eyes supposed to stand hours of reading on this?
Unless you live in the 1800's and are reading by candlelight (or have a problem with your eyesight) it works just fine. eInk has prided itself as being easy on the eyes especially compared to LCD. It is a researched fact that LCD screens cause eye fatigue. As for clarity, this thread says it all https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167778

Quote:
Lost opportunity
If it sported a pearl without the colored layer on it, with this resolution and a maximum of 350 dollars price, it could run to become the best 9,7" currently in production.
New technology comes with a cost, that's the way it works.

Quote:
Which developement if sales don't go?
This is a project with a high risk to be dead soon. All the hype is about the "color", but when people will understand what are they talking about, sales will decrease and developement will stop, so people who bought it will only have complaints about it.
It's spelled 'development'. They have established a firm credibility with 5-10k sales in Russia before the device was even released in the US. This is an interesting speculation but is not based in research. Also, anyone with a jetBook or JBL knows they make good on their promises for firmware updates.

Quote:
Price too high for the risk (and is this real innovation?)
500 dollars in a device which may be never developed is a too high risk. This does not feature anything new for the educational sector*, I'm an IT teacher for kids and a researcher on digital literacy. Even the Entourage Edge, a way more advanced idea, failed with sales (although after 2 years, despite being discontinued, it's being adopted in a few russian schools). The huge Amazon never developed the DXG, a 9,7" which can't even do a reflow on pdf, and still is sold at 379 dollars. Pocketbook left the 903, Asus treated his dr900 like a prototype, etc. This is a delicate field, no one big e-paper reader had a real success on the market. Why should Jetbook win?
They won one of the most credible awards in innovations in the world and you are questioning whether or not it is an innovation? The 30 or so programs on it are for education, no one else has that. And it is open source so their is a larger range of places a book can be obtained.

Quote:
It's slow!
We know how much can a software be developed, but hey: this is still TOO slow, for a device which goes out in 2012. An owner even described it as slower than the DXG and my jaw dropped: believe me (I have it) the DXG is one of the slowest 9,7" reader out there, on pdf managing.
Compared to what? I read it is faster then DGX in all aspects but one. I will wait an extra second so i don't have to strain my eyes on a computer screen or iPad.

Quote:
I'm very sorry but I'm not able to see any future for this. I didn't see any brilliant, innovative ideas behind it. The readibility is a too big problem, combined with the huge selling price and all the uncertainties about its developement, which is very far from being mature (Yes everyone can swear it won't ever stop, but if sales are weak, developement dies).

* See also one of his competitors for russ schools, plastic logic 100
*Readability. *Development. (Ah spelling, who needs it)This 'competitor' where can we buy one? Where can anyone buy one?

I think in order to look to the future you must first have a firm grasp on the present. They have won awards, made large contracts with entire governments and from what i see a lot of people want one. Actions speak louder than words.
X read X is offline   Reply With Quote