View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sync Last Page between Kindle/iPad/iPhone

As I understand it, Whispersync is now possible between a Kindle (in my case Kindle 4) and the various iOS apps.

Amazon has assigned a unique email address to each device. I have some books in Calibre, converted to mobi. I tried creating 3 emails, one per device, with the same book as an attachment. Whispersync didn't work.

I then tried a single email, with 3 recipients (my Kindle address, iPad address, iPhone address), with the same book as an attachment. After a good few tests, Whispersync was clearly working - go to a page on K4, press Home, immediately try book on iPhone 4, told me latest page read was on K4. Progress a few pages on iPhone, close book, open it on iPad, told me last read page was on iPhone 4. Read a few pages on iPad, close book, go back to K4, told me last page read was iPad. Perfect.

Well, perfect except one thing - a few days later I was reading the same book on iPhone, and noticed the sync button WITHIN the book (not the one at the Kindle app main page) was greyed out. I closed the book, then checked it on the K4, and it HADN'T picked up the last page read as being the iPhone. Done some more testing, same tests as before, definitely not working - neither the iPhone 4, iPad 2 or K4 are syncing the last page. Remember, it's the SAME book, I haven't re-emailed it or anything, it's the same file that WAS working a few days ago.

I deleted the book and re-converted it to mobi in Calibre, then did the single email/3 recipients thing again - this time, still not working, except for once; just once, flicking forward some pages, my K4 came up saying the last page was iPad 2. Tried again, a few pages more, no luck.

There is definitely not a connection issue, I have a solid internet connection, and anyway, I tried it on more than 1 wireless network.

It's seems to be simply "flaky", or I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?

My next test is to email it ONLY to the K4, then use Amazon's Manage My Kindle page and use "Deliver to…" to send it to my iPad and iPhone, see if that works.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

UPDATE: just tried the test above - sent to my K4, used the site to "Deliver To" my iPad 2, opened the book on my K4, went to Chapter 2, closed book, opened on my iPad 2, and this time the sync button is enabled. Pressed it, and sure enough, it says last page read is from the K4. I'm loathe to say "problem solved", since I had it working before too, then it stopped.

Last edited by gers1978; 01-15-2012 at 10:30 AM.
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote