View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #29
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscudder View Post
Hi Kurt,

Welcome to the ebook world!

I think that the reviews are not trying to be harsh, as much as we are all learning about it. Augen did tout its virtues!

I think that the ability to have resizable type is wonderful for people with variable eyesight- your comments put that virtue into perspective

There are a lot of places where you can get free- and legal- ebooks- if you mention the type of books you like to read, I think many people will chime in. My advice on putting the books on the reader is to do it through a computer- either directly on it (not really fast) or on an SD card, where you can play with the hierarchies for the books. A computer browser will make getting books much easier than using the browser in TB. (even though mine is working )

I would avoid ebooks in PDF for this reader for one reason- the resizing / zoom is most limited for PDF ebooks.

Have you tried the text to speech function yet?

Rebecca
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome and the excellent tips

I actually called Augen today to see if there was some kind of hidden function to get website pages to "fit to screen"
I knew this was unlikely but hey, worth a shot
Pleasantly surprised by the nice gentleman on the phone (and the very short wait) who was trying to be more than helpful, but of course there is no fit to screen or zoom in/out
He seemed pretty certain though that TB is not "locked" and there will be a firmware update very soon(tm) - heheh

I did try the text to speech function and it wasn't too bad but i also have issues with audio books as i prefer the voice in my head than someone reading to me

Managed to download several books from "Feedbooks" today - haven't had time yet to try to transfer them to TB
Still hesitant to actually purchase a new book until i learn a bit more
Lots of stuff to do this weekend it looks like inclouding checking out the wiki here

Before i had to give up reading books about a decade ago was heavily into sci-fi, fantasy and historical fiction with a smattering of everything else
Kinda lost now as i don't know authors and the magazine subs i had with plentiful reviews and author interviews and such are either gone or don't remember their names - oh well, starting over
I feel like a kid on christmas eve
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote