View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
Jaede
Enthusiast
Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elonwy View Post
You go to the store and find an E-reader. You buy it, bring it home, and fill it with all of your books. Then in a couple of months you look at it, and say maybe I can find a better one. You go to the store again, buy another E-reader but this one isn't as good as the first one.

Let me guess...You give it away or sell it, and go back to the first E-reader. The cycle starts all over with you again wondering if there is another E-reader out there that is shinier and better then the first one you gave up on.

Where does the cycle stop? Are E-readers just a quick fix to you or a cheap date that ends in a one-night stand?
I think she might be right. Everytime I try to settle with an E-Reader another tempts me from the window displays. All new and pretty with a slightly different shape than last year's model. Do I truly just use them, and toss them aside when something better comes along? When the Sony 505 came out I bought that, and was very happy with it. But I was a novice back then, didn't think having a cover on the reader was a needful thing. Two broken screens later I learned my lesson.

After this I became a wanderer. I tried to make sure that whenever I moved on to a new Reader the old one had a home. My mom, my wife, and my wife's best friend all have inheritated my castoffs. Or I sold them. Ah well, I just can't help it with the E-Readers. I like E-Ink, and I like having books in my pocket; used to be one paperback, but now thousands ride with me at all times.

The Kobo so far is very close to what I'm looking for. I think I'm ready for a serious commitment, even if it doesn't want to hold my entire library. It's slowing down after a thousand books, becoming sluggish, and I might have to limit what I let it handle.

The friend I'm trying to convince of abandoning dead trees gave me back the Simple Touch; claimed he would have no time to read books. I was appalled, but took the reader, anyway. Who can't find the time to read? I'll snatch moments in anyplace I'm at: grocery store, doctor's office, my own office, bathroom. No place is not without a chance for a few paragraphs.

I think I might hold onto the Simple Touch. So far it rides in my left cargo pocket, and the Kobo in my right. As long as they don't know about each other I might be able to juggle them for years yet to come. I won't abandon them to the whole one-night stand scenerio-or should I say one-book scenerio?
Jaede is offline   Reply With Quote