View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #56
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Not everyone who reads here instantly knows what you actually mean, or can tell at a glance that the CSS won't work on K7. I think it would be more helpful to the community on a whole if you clarified it by saying "works on Kindle K8 format."
I agree.. might be better to specify it working only on KF8 instead of "Kindle".

Not everyone has followed all of the Sigil/EPUB/MOBI boards closely for months/years like us. Someone seeing it for the first time, won't have all the knowledge us old-timers have absorbed over the months/years!

And imagine someone stumbling upon this topic a few years from now trying to learn.

I wish when I first got into this, someone told me that "bah, that tutorial is outdated and garbage now." Ugh... so many old topics/sites I read that gave me worthless information.

I believe almost all of us here have learned the hard way by a lot of trial/error, and picking apart code, seeing what works and what didn't, and testing everything on our individual devices...

I settled into my nice little workflow, doing what works really well for the kinds of books that I need to convert... but I am glad that there are people like Ruben out there too who ARE pushing the boundaries.

Sooner or later those old Kindles WILL die/stop being supported, and then we can move on (just like the ebook market has moved on from FB2, LIT, PRC, ...). Then stumbling upon RbnJrg's code and using it would be great.

Sadly, I don't see MOBI dying for a very long time. Maybe RbnJrg is just a cyborg from the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
When somebody comes up with a great idea I have to shove it into the Sony Reader Library to see if it actually works.
Always a good idea... which is why most of us typically stress testing on physical devices (and not trusting ADE alone, or Kindle Emulation alone). Hopefully with all of us testing on our individual devices, we can catch oddities, and seeing where certain code breaks, or if it is a problem with our specific device, or if we are just going crazy.

You do run into weird stuff like:

2-bit, 4-bit PNG bug: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222916
or the transparent PNG bug: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=12

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 12-06-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote