View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 02:57 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I've owned a DXG, and I sold it again. I had direct comparison to a K3 at that time (now I have a KPW, which has its own merits well beyond those other devices). As aesthetics go, everything was fine. And it was very nice to read books on it, I even prefered it to my K3 for that. In the end, however, the matter was that it was a bit to clumsy to transport. It was always waiting at home while I took the K3 on tour. At some point I decided to sell it again as long as I would get some reasonable amount of money back for it. In my case it even was a no-loss situation as I got my KDG for ~250 bucks in a special offer at Amazon and was able to get about as much for it when selling it as a used unit (I've imported it to Germany, which kind of created some benefit for german buyers).

I don't think I would buy a DXG again, even if it was down to 200 bucks. The form factor attracted me then because I thought it would be a good fit for reading PDFs. It was, but only to some extent. PDF based layouts often make assumptions that don't fit well with e-ink technology. I was much more satisfied later with a 10" Android tablet - being able to pan and zoom in an instant (and have color for the illustrations) is a really great thing. When it comes down to plain reading, e-ink still beats all other solutions.

Of course, all of these things, from aesthetics to use cases, are highly subjective and depend on personal preferences.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote