View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #13184
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Do you have a recommendation of a book to start with? I've had him on my list of authors I haven't read anything by that I need to. If it hadn't been for the book club here I probably would have read something by him by now for my challenges this year.

In other news, I just finished How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe. It may not be science fiction, but it was geeky and entertaining and had enough human condition and social consciousness to hit everything I might look for in a book. A great read.

"A Prayer for Owen Meany" is an excellent book, as is the famous "The World According to Garp."

Irving doesn't really write 'small' books (except mostly for his earliest writings, which don't have that Dickensian depth that I so much enjoy).

Also, if you are an older person who lived through those times novelized in "Garp," then you may find that it resonates with your own life in certain areas.

Perhaps some other fans of Irving can also share opinions about which title(s) to recommend for a first-time read.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote