View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #31
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Flash is slow, crappy, and awful on everything but its original platform. I'm glad it won't be showing up on the iPad!

Seriously though, my experience with it on Linux and my mac(s) were just awful. It was always crashing my browser or using up all of my memory. I doubt it would be much better on the iPad if we had it.
Hm, I have and have had a variety of Macs and even though I've read countless of posts about how bad Flash is on OS X, I've always had a perfectly seamless experience and never thought about it.

What I had major trouble with, was Safari 4.0x, which maybe about 4.02 started crashing periodically, both with Java and Flash. At times it took 3+ minutes to load my iGoogle page (no Flash there), or it just would quit suddenly!

It did this both on my iMac 24", on my office MacBook Pro and on my home HTPC (where I used it as the default browser). So, I tested for myself Safari, Firefox and Chrome on the Mac (and on my HTPC, running W7).

Safari came up the slowest, by far with Flash. It was also the biggest resource hog by far, both for CPU and memory, both on the Mac and on Windows.

Firefox and Chrome were about equal on Windows (Chrome was not available on the Mac yet), but both were using maybe 3-4 times less resources than Safari, which was surprising, since Chrome is also a Webkit browser.

On the Mac, Safari uses tons more resources than Firefox, playing the same video clip (try it and take look what the CPU and memory numbers are).

Anyway, since then my default browser is Firefox, themed to look and act just like Safari, only better. The latest Safari is also more stable, but still a resource hog, so even though it doesn't seem to matter in practice, I am not going back to it.

So, the bottom line is, if Apple wanted it, Flash would run just as well on Macs, as it does on Windows (virtually no overhead on W7 - like 1% CPU or less, in my tests).